[HPADM] Problems removing a logical volume - more information.

From: bill.thompson@goodyear.com
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 10:11:03 EDT

All,

Thanks to who replied so far. I should have given more details the first
time around.

For testing purposes, I created a new volume group using two
"hyper-volumes" from an EMC Symmetrix disk farm. The volume group also
contained two PV-Links.

Within this volume group, I created four logical volumes of equal size
utilizing all but two PE's from the hyper-volumes.

I also create a filesystem for each logical volume and filled it with data.

The next part of the test required deactivating the volume group, so I
unmounted the four filesystems (no problems there) and tried to deactivate
the volume group (vgchange -a n vgname). The volume group would not
deactivate and gave me the following message:

>vgchange -a n vgGPC3
vgchange: Couldn't deactivate volume group "vgGPC3":
Device busy

I double checked and found none of the filesystems were mounted. I tried
running lsof to see what might be "busy" but could not find anything.

Since it was a test volume group, I decided to delete everything and start
over.

I was able to delete three of the four logical volumes, but when I tried to
delete the fourth, I got the following error:

> lvremove /dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a
Current path "/dev/dsk/c3t0d7" is an alternate link, skip.
Current path "/dev/dsk/c6t0d6" is an alternate link, skip.
The logical volume "/dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a" is not empty;
do you really want to delete the logical volume (y/n) : y
lvremove: Couldn't delete logical volume "/dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a":
The specified logical volume is open, or
a sparing operation is in progress.
Volume Group configuration for /dev/vgGPC3 has been saved in
/etc/lvmconf/vgGPC3.conf

Again, I can not find anything that would make the logical volume busy.
There is no filesystem mounted and lsof does not show anything.

Does anybody know what a "sparing operation" is?

I don't see anything strange in the output of lvdisplay...

> lvdisplay -v /dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a
--- Logical volumes ---
LV Name /dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a
VG Name /dev/vgGPC3
LV Permission read/write
LV Status available/syncd
Mirror copies 0
Consistency Recovery MWC
Schedule parallel
LV Size (Mbytes) 4312
Current LE 1078
Allocated PE 1078
Stripes 0
Stripe Size (Kbytes) 0
Bad block NONE
Allocation strict
IO Timeout (Seconds) default

   --- Distribution of logical volume ---
   PV Name LE on PV PE on PV
   /dev/dsk/c3t0d6 1078 1078

   --- Logical extents ---
   LE PV1 PE1 Status 1
   00000 /dev/dsk/c3t0d6 00000 current
   00001 /dev/dsk/c3t0d6 00001 current
   00002 /dev/dsk/c3t0d6 00002 current

I'm running HP-UX 11.11 on this box.

Rebooting is a last resort.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bill Thompson
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.