[HPADM] Problem removing a logical volume

From: bill.thompson@goodyear.com
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 08:38:06 EDT

Hi,

I'm was trying to remove a logical volume from a volume group and received
the following message:

-> lvremove /dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a
Current path "/dev/dsk/c3t0d7" is an alternate link, skip.
Current path "/dev/dsk/c6t0d6" is an alternate link, skip.
The logical volume "/dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a" is not empty;
do you really want to delete the logical volume (y/n) : y
lvremove: Couldn't delete logical volume "/dev/vgGPC3/lvGPC3a":
The specified logical volume is open, or
a sparing operation is in progress.
Volume Group configuration for /dev/vgGPC3 has been saved in
/etc/lvmconf/vgGPC3.conf

The filesystem is not mounted so the logical volume is not open, therefore
a "sparing operation" must be in progress.

I've never heard of a "sparing operation". Does anyone know what this
means? How can I delete this logical volume?

TIA,

Bill Thompson
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.