[HPADM] Centralized password administration

From: Ken Felmly (kfelmly@h40a.resva.trw.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 13:29:08 EDT

Howdy list!

I need some advice on a centralized password administration function.
 Essentially, we need a localized server where the sysadmins can change
passwords monthly on all disparate UNIX machines in a LAN/WAN situation.
 I know NIS is the way to go, but we are limited on bandwidth to utilize
NFS. We have local MCSG clusters as well as file replication. We have
a mix of NT, HP-UX, and Solaris servers. NT is not a problem with a
PDC/BDC in a Microsoft Domain. I am just looking for all of the options
and what seems to work best for any of you.

Password aging may be an option, however, we don't want any user to be
able to change any passwords when prompted.

Someone had mentioned to store a main, modifiable, password file on a
shared storage and I almost had to slap him.

Does the list have a NIS+ cookbook somewhere?

Kenny