[HPADM] SUMMARY: Problems with FC60s...

From: Taylor, Vince (TaylorV@logica.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 08:22:58 EDT

Hi All,

Original question at bottom.

Thanks to those people who responded with their tales of woe with the
FC60's, it seems that no-one has a good word to say about them (except that
they do perform well if they stay in working order - which seems to be
rarely!).

It seems that there has been a "PFU" (Pro-active Field Upgrade?) performed
by HP on FC60's so they should all have been visited to make sure that they
were all up to specification (this has certainly not happened for all our
FC60's). This involves upgrading your firmware revisions on both the
controllers, the BCCs? and the disks, replacing the Ultra SCSI cables and
sometimes the BCC controllers as well. If you have not had a visit, then it
would be well worth investigating this option. Mind you, if you don't have
any problems, then maybe it is best left alone.

Make sure you have all the latest HPUX patches for the ARMServer, the Fibre
cards etc as well, otherwise the response will be that you need the latest
patches which is why you had the problem, and that without the latest
patches HP cannot investigate properly as there is not enough debug/log
information available until the most recent patches are installed.

Disk failures seem very common. Controller batteries also don't seem to last
very long.

Don't turn the power off to an FC60 and expect to get all the disks back
working when you power back on, as it seems this also causes issues. In
fact one person was recommended by HP not to turn the power off as it was a
common problem in the FC60s.

People will be happy to see the back of these disk arrays. Not one person
recommended them, which is fortunate as I understand they are no longer
available from HP, having been replaced with the VA series of disks, but
some of us are still stuck with them for the next few years...

Thanks for all your responses - thought it best to not mention any names.

I have to say that although this is quite a negative message, in general I
do find that HP do provide excellent products (both hardware and software)
and top quality support. It seems a shame that the FC60's have caused so
many problems and hurt the reputation of HP in the eyes of our customers.

Cheers,

Vince.

Hi all,

This is just a query really. We have a considerable number of FC60's in use
throughout the world, and have recently started to receive (in my opinion)
too many faults with these disk arrays. I was really wondering if anyone
else was having problems with them?

We have had problems with losing both parts of mirrored LUNs, faulty BCC
controllers, bad fibre connections etc. Each time HP seem to recommend an
upgrade to the next version of firmware, but it doesn't seem to fix things.

Anyway, can you please pass on your good or bad feelings on these disk
arrays, as I want to know if many people are having problems, or whether it
is something in the way we set up the disk arrays (which I doubt, as we use
a standard 3 SC10s with split bus mode as recommended by HP).

I will summarise,

Regards,

Vince.