[HPADM] [SUMMARY] Domain Name

From: Jon B. Carter (Jon.Carter@post.serco.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 05:33:17 EDT

Hi all,

Many thanks for the prompt response on this one. You had me up and running again within about five minutes.

The problem was in nsswitch.conf. I've put 'file' in first and now it works. Also had to reconfigure sendmail to use domain name and all is well.

Thanks to all who replied, especially Andy Cranston and Ilan Green.

Best regards,
Jon Carter

Hi Admins,

I've just got a problem on the seventh system I've installed in the last few weeks.

The system works OK until I create a resolv.conf file to enable the system to access our domain name server. After this, no X-windows applications work because they can't find 'hostname:0'

This is because they now want 'hostname.xxx.yyy.com:0', I imagine.

Also, the sendmail keeps sending out messages because it can't qualify its own domain name.

All my other systems work whether or not /etc/resolv.conf exists but this one is just not happy with it.

I don't know what I've done different with this machine to all the others.

Any help much appreciated.

Best regards & TIA,
Jon Carter
Serco Systems Limited