[HPADM] Domain Name

From: Jon B. Carter (Jon.Carter@post.serco.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 03:48:48 EDT

Hi Admins,

I've just got a problem on the seventh system I've installed in the last few weeks.

The system works OK until I create a resolv.conf file to enable the system to access our domain name server. After this, no X-windows applications work because they can't find 'hostname:0'

This is because they now want 'hostname.xxx.yyy.com:0', I imagine.

Also, the sendmail keeps sending out messages because it can't qualify its own domain name.

All my other systems work whether or not /etc/resolv.conf exists but this one is just not happy with it.

I don't know what I've done different with this machine to all the others.

Any help much appreciated.

Best regards & TIA,
Jon Carter
Serco Systems Limited