[HPADM] Re: Mirror Boot Drive

From: anil rajapure (anil_unix1975@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 23:45:30 EDT

 Perfectly right. Go ahead. Take the backup of all before you do all this.(In case is something goes wrong)
Regards,
Anil

  "Smith, Rob" <rob.smith@genzyme.com> wrote: Hello All,

I have a D class server running 10.20 that does not have a mirrored root
drive. I have the drive and am going to have it installed soon. I have
culled the instructions on how to do the mirroring from a couple of
different sources so I wanted to get some feedback on my plan. Does it look
good? Are there things that I can do differently? More efficiently?
Thanks in advance and I will summarize.

1/ pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX

2/ vgextend /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX

3/ mkboot /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX
mkboot -a "hpux" /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX

lifcp /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX:AUTO -
^== To verify the contents of the auto file

4/pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c0t6d0
^== To check the order of the LVs on the original disk

lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol4 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol5 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol6 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol7 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/cXtXdX

pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/cXtXdX
^== To make sure they are in proper order on the new disk

5/ setboot -a "Hardware Address of New Disk"
setboot
^== To check that the path is set correctly

6/ lvlnboot -r /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/vg00
lvlnboot -b /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/vg00
lvlnboot -s /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/vg00
lvlnboot -d /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/vg00
lvlnboot -v ( check output again)

7/ Shutdown interrupt PDC and boot from the alternate mirror.

8/ If successful change the auto file on the original disk

mkboot -a "hpux -lq" /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0
lifcp /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0:AUTO -
^== To verify the contents of the auto file.

9 Shutdown and boot off the primary.

Again, thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rob Smith

Robert Smith
Information Systems
Genzyme Biosurgery
(201) 402-7269

The Beauty of the Past is that it has none of the problems of the present -
Thomas Carlyle

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from your
system and contact the sender.