Re: DNS and export

From: Sue Pellerito (Sue.Pellerito@JACKINTHEBOX.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 11:47:19 EST

Shouldn't need to have it in hosts file if using DNS/NIS. Are you sure the
nfs client is running on these systems? Sounds to me like a problem with
DNS.

                      cbaker@GOODYEAR.C
                      OM To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      Sent by: IBM AIX cc:
                      Discussion List Subject: DNS and export
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      03/18/2004 08:06
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

There is a RS/6000 at one of our subsidiaries. On that RS/6000 is a
filesystem that they are exporting to 'everyone'. I can mount it
on some of my boxes but not many. Logging in on that remote system, I see
that only 3 or 4 of my systems are in the local /etc/hosts
file. Those are the only systems here that can mount that filesystem from
the remote server.

The RS/6000 is running AIX 5.1. It is an NIS Master Server. It is running
DNS

That is where my question comes. If I log in on that remote server from a
RS6k here that can NOT mount and do a "who", I see me
logged in and it shows my IP address rather than my hostname. But if I do
a ping of the box I am coming in from, it can resolve it
and pings that box at the IP address. If I do an 'nslookup' of the
hostname of the box I came in on, it finds it.

So, it appears that nfs export only works if the box is in the NIS host
file and does not go to DNS? But ping finds it in DNS and
proceeds as does other functions? Also, it appears that exporting to
everyone only works if the IP address of the requesting client
can be resolved?

What is wrong here.

Here is what is in the '/etc/netsvc.conf':

      host = local,nis,bind

The '/etc/resolv.conf' has their nameservers followed by their domain.
After that is a 'search' line with their domainname. After
that is another 'search' line with my domainname. Should that be on one
line?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.