Critical fixes for AIX 4.3 and 5.1, and problems with ML05 rsh

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 05:51:30 EST

You may already be aware of these, but just in case you aren't...

IY51732 Users of autofs with the bos.net.nfs.client fileset below the level
of 5.1.0.58.
The autofs aump process loops and consumes CPU, affecting system
performance.

IY49747 Users of Fibre Channel adapters with the devices.pci.df1000f7.com
fileset below the
level of 5.1.0.57 Possible Fibre Channel adapter driver hang.

IY49638 Users of SAP or other applications that set multiple locales with
the bos.rte.libc
fileset below the level of 5.1.0.56. Applications may core dump when doing
a setlocale for
more than 10 locales.

IY49446 Users of NFS with the bos.net.nfs.client fileset below the level of
5.1.0.57.
rpc.statd dies under heavy stress due to a memory leak.

IY47549 Threaded processes running on a user scheduler on a multi-processor
system with the
bos.rte.libpthreads fileset below the 5.1.0.52 level. Spurious thread
wakeups can occur,
which may negatively affect program logic if the condition variables are not
used in a way
that deals with spurious wakeups.

These are in addition to AIX 5.1 ML05. We've actually been hit by some
problems relating to
these - IY51732, in particular. We have been migrating to AIX 5.1 ML04 but
we're now going
to ML05 + these fixes, and we're upgrading all of our existing 5.1-04
servers very soon now.

Apparently there are similar problems in AIX 4.3.3 which are fixed in ML11,
so anyone who
still has 4.3 systems and hasn't already done so might like to get them up
to that level.

We have encountered one problem with 5.1-05, which has not yet been
resolved.
We make extensive use of IP aliases for our home-grown BCS system. Each
application -
typically a SAP instance - has an application alias. That makes it simpler
to move the
application to a different server in the event of a hardware problem.
rsh from an AIX 5.1.0.0-05 server to an application alias on any other
server fails. rsh to
the server's own name works OK. The symptoms are similar to a name
resolution problem,
with a minute's pause before the command fails, but name resolution is OK,
and it still fails
if you plug in the actual IP address of the alias.
This may not be entirely AIX related, as we use the Keon/BoKs security
product. But if
you're upgrading to ML05 you might want to consider this.