AIX 5L & reverse DNS lookups

From: Ralph R. Rye (RyeR@SCHNEIDER.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 10:55:15 EST

Quick question:

I have seen posts about inetd services doing reverse lookups and causing
issues with telnet & ftp clients. Does AIX do reverse lookups for IP
applications that are not run under inetd? I would assume it would be up
to the application to request the lookup and AIX does not do it by default
for all IP based app's.

We can't get a definitive answer from our vendor about reverse lookups from
their app [Informatica], and reverse lookups are happening and timing out
some client sessions.

Thanks,
Ralph