Re: Separate Storage / UNIX groups?

From: JOSEPH KREMBLAS (jkremblas@REDHEARTGIFTS.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 14:26:51 EST

There is a book on the market entitled "The Holy Grail of Data Storage
Management" by Toigo, ISBN 0-13-013055-9, (c) Copyright 2000 by Prentice
Hall PTR, that addresses the question of whether a system administrator
or a storage administrator/manager should be employed to managed data
storage. I'm of the opinion that a system administrator should not be
burdened with this responsibility as the books suggests, especially if
the storage platform is an enterprise-wide platform solution.

In our ever-changing global economy, the burden storage management
presents to the system administrator can be overwhelming. I believe the
book is a "must read" for system administrators and management alike. It
sheds some good light on this topic. Let the debates begin!

My two cents.