Re: NIM install with image.data

From: Jason delaFuente (jason.delafuente@GBE.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 11:45:25 EST

If you look in the AIX 5L Version 5.2 Installation Guide And Reference (pg 318) it will tell you how to put your SPOT in debug mode. You will be able to bring your machine up with the NIM spot and see EVERYTHING that is happening. This has been VERY helpful for us when it comes to troubleshooting NIM related issues. The book mentioned above comes with the BOS CDs. Here is the basic stuff...

Set your SPOT to debug mode:
nim -Fo check -a debug=yes [SPOTNAME]

Get the address for entering into the debugger
lsnim -a enter_dbg [SPOTNAME]
 *take note of the listing that corresponds to the machine you are booting

When your client is coming up ith will stop with a > prompt. Enter the following:
st [LAST SIX CHARACTERS OF ADDRESS] 2

Hit Enter and then type 'g' for go and hit ENTER again.

Be sure to set your spot back to NO debug after you are finished.

Jason de la Fuente

>>> Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM 03/03/04 10:14AM >>>
Last time I did this, I restored the entire image.data from the mksysb
which I planned to use, then modified it according to my requirements.
So the entirety of every stanza will be present: the system is going to
use this instead of the one in the mksysb.
Assuming that's what you've done, double-check your modifications for
typos.

Are you confident that you've added the NIM resource correctly?

I take it you see those messages on the console, during the install?
What's the LED code at that point?

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.