Re: "exportvg -p -m" for AIX

From: Bill Verzal (BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 11:12:19 EST

We do this exact thing every night.

We synchronize the Timefinder primaries and BCV's. At a predetermined
time, we do a split. Then we importvg/varyonvg on the system hat is
assigned to the BCV's.

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

             Drew Myers
             <myersd@VANGUARDC
             AR.COM> To
             Sent by: IBM AIX aix-l@Princeton.EDU
             Discussion List cc
             <aix-l@Princeton.
             EDU> Subject
                                       "exportvg -p -m" for AIX

             02/27/2004 07:18
             AM

             Please respond to
                  IBM AIX
              Discussion List
             <aix-l@Princeton.

All,

Thanks very much for all of your helpful comments and suggestions.

After thinking about this more, and trying the suggestions presented here,
as well as my own, I think I've narrowed the problem a bit. It also seems
I didn't present enough information to make analyzing the issue very easy.
Here's the complete "skinny".

2 LPARs on a p671 running AIX 5.2 with EMC Symmetrix attached LUNs via
fiber.
I use EMC's Control Center applications (timefinder et al), to manipulate
the LUNs.

I'm going to simplify the actual architecture for illustrative purposes.

+--------+ +-----------------+
| LPAR 1 | | Symmetrix |
+--------+ +-----------------+
| lun001 |-------->| dev001 | bcv001 |
| lun002 |-------->| dev002 | bcv002 |
| lun003 |-------->| dev003 | bcv003 |
+--------+ +--------+--------+
                              | | |
+--------+ | | |
| LPAR 2 | | | |
+--------+ | | |
| lun001 |--------------------+ | |
| lun002 |-----------------------+ |
| lun003 |--------------------------+
+--------+

One this *hopefully* conveys, is that I have 3 LUNs visible to LPAR1, from
the Symmetrix. These are "standard" devices, all the same size. They are
not visible to LPAR2. BCV1-3 are "BCV" devices, annotated as such at the
Symmetrix.

My goal, is to establish a mirror, via the Symmetrix, between dev001-3 and
bcv001-3, then split that mirror. This part works fine. I then would like
to be able to access the data on bcv001-3 on LPAR2 for backup and
development purposes. Most of the data is raw, but there are a few mounted
filesystems, which seems to be where I run into trouble. Based on
something Bill Verzal mentioned, I did notice that the VGIDs on the LUNs
are identical on LPAR1 and LPAR2.

What would be the appropriate method to make the data on bcv001-3 (and
therefore lun001-3 on LPAR2) accessible on LPAR2? I assume the data is
present, I just need to inform the ODM the VGs, LVs, and filesystems are
there.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I hope this explanation proves more
instructive than my last.

Thanks again,

Drew