Re: Historical System Performance Data

From: Chladek, Dave (Dave.Chladek@NHMCCD.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 09:16:44 EST

HP has a product line that will monitor and log numerous items and will
retain for as long and/or as large a file as you may need. The products are
called Measureware (the actual monitoring/logging tool), Performance
Monitor, Performance Manager (Windows based) and/or a real-time monitoring
package called GlancePlus.

I use Measureware and the Performance Manager to monitor 4.3.3 and 5.2
systems (also does Windows). I have used this package, granted on HP systems
for many years, any have found few others that compare with it. I have
heard that IBM is supposed to be offering a variation of it but that's all I
know about it.

The HP Performance Monitor, along with the Measureware software, provides
surprising 'drill down' capabilities with canned or custom reports and 'near
time' monitoring via a web based GUI that refreshes periodically. I was
quite surprised when I found that it monitored AIX with much the same
capabilities as on HP systems. Here is a link to a PDF fact sheet on the
openview.hp.com web site...
http://openview.hp.com/products/performance/ds/ovperf_ds_jun03.pdf

No, I don't sell, market or work for HP just really like the product and
though it is not cheap it is well worth it as far as I am concerned.

Hope this helps.

Dave Chladek
UNIX Systems Administrator
North Harris Montgomery Community College District