Re: OS binaries integrity check

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 05:59:38 EST

TCB does a few different things.

The simplest - and most useful, IMO - is to keep a record of file checksums
and permissions, which can be checked periodically to ensure nothing's been
tampered with. It starts off with a default database and you can add your
own files to it if you wish.

The bit which I don't like is the Trusted Shell. This verifies that every
executable you call is running from the right place. i.e. Nobody has
slipped their own copy into your path. This is of limited use; I think it
only works on terminals, not over a network. Unless you're working for the
military or something like that it seems far too much trouble. I don't
think it checks the actual executable each time, though, so if someone
manages to replace the actual /usr/bin/xxxx you're stuffed.

Given that you have to re-install your system - and you CAN'T simply restore
from a mksysb: preservation install is the best you can manage - even just
using TCB for the first part looks like it's more trouble than it's worth,
to me.

Of course, that does depend on how much you want it and how many systems are
affected.

There's a good basic introduction to the TCB in the AIX Admin Guide, or the
Elements of Security RedBook.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.