Re: AIX 5.1, 43Ps and the mouse

From: Tampa Bay (ggelaude@TAMPABAY.RR.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 21:59:00 EST

Hi Greg.

Are you using no mouse or a generic off the shelf mouse on the 43P-140 that
is freezing. If the mouse is generic, AIX is probably looking for the IBM
mouse micro code. (I have been told by IBM support that there is micro code
embedded in IBM mice) I have had a similar issue with a genuine IBM RS6000
mouse connected via an older (8 years old) KVM switch on a 6F1. I am still
AIX 4.3.3 and only the serial port was a problem, I still had telnet access.
The only remedy for making the serial port active was to remove the KVM.
With the KVM in place I get mouse and key board errors every time the box is
rebooted. Due to space issues, we are forced to stay with the KVM at
present.

Please let me know if this turns out to be the issue. A move to AIX 5.2 is
right around the corner for me and might need to wait until after a
scheduled computer room remodeling project.

Are you on a maintenance contract. If so place a service call and request
replacement mice.

Regards,
Jerry Gelaude
ggelaude@tampabay.rr.com

"Greg Breuer" <breuerg@MISSOURI.EDU> wrote in message
  I am having mouse problems on various 43Ps as I migrate (clean install) to
AIXL (5.1). Two machines, the mice are not available and a 43P-140 keeps
freezing up(pointer frozen, can not PING or TELNET to box). Here's what diag
tells me:

  A PROBLEM WAS DETECTED ON Thu Feb 5 08:58:27 CST 2004
801014

  The Service Request Number(s)/Probable Cause(s)
  (causes are listed in descending order of probability):

    803-925: A software error was encountered while running the Diagnostic
             Application on mouse0.

  Use Enter to continue.

  Any ideas?
  --