Re: Sp2 nodes outside of a frame

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 07:22:15 EST

Dave Miller wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to run an SP/2 node outside of a frame, i..e..
'standalone'?

I've never even heard of anyone wanting to do this!

Actually running a system in one of these without PSSP is possible: some of
my colleagues have done this whilst re-configuring an SP2. i.e. Delete info
from the SDR so that you can remove an intermediate frame, or move an active
frame from one SP2 Cluster to another without stopping the system.

The problems I would foresee surround hardware control. Could you just plug
a console into the back of a node? How would you power it on and off, or
set a key-switch (if you've got an old MCA node)?

Is this just idle speculation, or do you actually want to attempt it for
some reason?

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.