attaching an external SCSI array

From: Mark Schlechte (MSCHLECH@REGINA.CA)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 12:05:17 EST

Greetings,

I have an external storage array (6x250GB configured as RAID5) that we
bought to attach to
a windows 2000 server for some video survellance capturing.
Since we have a little slack time before that project is ready to go I
thought I would try attaching
it to an aix server and try it as a large storage array to benchmark
some d2d.

My thoughts were to attach it, run cfgmgr and if all goes well create a
new VG and I'm done.
So far hit and miss. I have a 7029-6C3 server running AIX 5.2 with a
FC6203 adapter and
it won't recognize it. As a test I connected it to a 7044-270 server
running AIX433 which has a built in Wide-Ultra-2 adapter and I now have
a new hdisk after running cfgmgr but I can't make a new VG with it. The
adapter should be an Ultra 160 so I'm not sure if this is going to cause
a problem.
I can run lsdev, lscfg cmd's and get info from the disk but I realize I
don't have a corresponding pdisk. I also got some scsi bus errors in
the errpt after running cfgmgr.

Has anyone done something like this before?
My thoughts are to update my devices.scsi.xxx filesets on the 5.2
server as that is where I
really want it (backup server). Any other suggestions?

Mark