AIX and IP forwarding/masquerading

From: Michael Cheselka (cheselka@LINUX.CACTUS.ORG)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 08:14:43 EST

I have an AIX 5.1 43p using ppp to dialup over a regular phone line.
I also have a Linux laptop connected to the AIX box via Ethernet. The
AIX box is 192.168.0.11 and the Linux laptop is 192.168.0.13. What do
I do as well as:

AIX: /usr/sbin/no -o ipforwarding=1

Linux: route add default gw 192.168.0.11

This isn't enough since it's not working. Ideally, I want to use
mozilla on the Linux laptop without modification - DNS working and no
proxy set. I also have ssh on Linux and sshd on AIX so I may have to
settle for ssh port forwarding. Anyone using a similar arrangement?
What about IP masquerading? Any way to pass the DNS queries upstream
without running a caching DNS server and having the Linux box point at
the AIX box in resolv.conf?

Thank you.

--
Michael R. M. Cheselka                       ryoohki@ryoohki.org