Re: Paging space on a fastT

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 11:20:24 EST

SAP certainly uses a fair bit of paging space - especially when it's first
started, and when the workload changes between batch/on-line work at the
start and end of day.

However, although SAP have been recommending 2-3x real memory for ages,
that's really not appropriate for modern systems with large amounts of
memory (>4GB, say). We no longer stick to those guidelines, but instead
provide enough paging space for what the application actually uses, plus a
very generous margin. On most of our systems it seems to be about 2x memory
at the moment.

Of course, disk is cheap and with paging spaces on SAN it's sometimes less
hassle to just give the large amounts of paging space that SAP AG recommend,
rather than continually fight battles over it.

We run it with Oracle, but I don't imagine it's any different with DB2.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
<https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html>
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
<http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX>
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.