Re: "Fragmented memory"

From: Aaron W Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 13:21:07 EST

Bill Verzal wrote:
> That is what my boss says is the reason we reboot every so often. Because
> the memory is fragmented.
>
> I personally don't buy it. Although it may be true, I don't think there is
> a performance hit because of it.
>
> Does anyone know any command equivalent to the DOS "mem /d" that will show
> me what chunks of VM are allocated to what programs, and what areas are
> free ?
>
> BV
>
> "If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"
>
> Bill Verzal
> AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
> (847) 970-3726 - direct
> (847) 970-4184 - fax

A few years ago, there were some programs for Win9x that "defragmented"
memory, but the real benefit of the programs were the fact that they
unloaded libraries from memory. (It was still cool anyway :-) )

I think it is a popular misconception because people think of memory in
terms of, say, a hard drive. There are penalties to accessing
fragmented data on a hard drive because of seek times related to the
physical movement of the read/write heads. There is no such physical
limitations to RAM. You can access random addresses in memory just as
fast as sequential addresses.