Re: Copying files between Windows and AIX

From: Aaron W Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 16:41:06 EST

Ignacio Vidal wrote:
> Hello:
> I've the following problem...
> I need to copy all files in one directory (about 500.000 files) from a Windows 2K server to a filesystem (with enough free space/inodes) in an AIX 4.3.3 server.
> This filesystem is "exported" to the Windows side using samba (as a shared folder).
> The windows machine is the "source" in this transfer, I´ve tried 3 times the copy with no success: every time it failed with a message "there is no disk free space".
> What could it be??
>
> Regards
>
> Ignacio

You might be running into an internal limitation of Samba (you didn't
mention what version you are running, self-compiled or pre-compiled, etc).

You can decrease and increase the debugging verbosity dynamically in
Samba by sending the smbd process SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2, respectively (if
I remember correctly). See what error samba is throwing internally.

You also didn't mention if you had any files over 1GB in size or if you
had a large file enabled filesystem.