Re: raid 0 verses raid 1

From: Bill Verzal (BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:21:23 EST

Are you seeing a bottleneck? Do you need performance?

the only reason I ask these questions is that some folks over here like to
make changes when they aren't warranted and sometimes put us at risk for no
good reason.

If it does not need to be recoverable, what hurt is there if it is
protected? Where are cursors going to be stored and sorts going to be done
if the temp table space is lost ?

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

             Mark Lamport
             <lamport@KCMETRO.
             CC.MO.US> To
             Sent by: IBM AIX aix-l@Princeton.EDU
             Discussion List cc
             <aix-l@Princeton.
             EDU> Subject
                                       raid 0 verses raid 1

             01/05/2004 09:10
             AM

             Please respond to
                  IBM AIX
              Discussion List
             <aix-l@Princeton.

In oracle I have temporary tablespace that does not need to be recoverable.
Currently I have it as a raid 1 (mirrored) but I am thinking I might get
better performance with a raid 0 (striped) accross 3 disks. The current
configuration has this datafile on a mirrored raid array which has 2 6230
adapters but my striped array is on a single 6230. Both have write cache.
What is your opinion?

thanks.

Mark Lamport