Re: AIX and 2038?

From: Bill Thompson (wht@NEO.RR.COM)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 23:19:18 EST

This is a well know "issue". Unix keeps its time in the form of
"seconds-since-the-epoch" (January 01, 1970 UCT). This time is kept in a 32
bit variable which will reach its maximum (2147483647) in 2038.

However, 2038 is 34 years from now. Think how much has changed in the
computer world since 1970 (34 years ago). Unix, as we know it, may not even
exist but if it does survive the issue will surly have been solved.

As for me, I'll be laying on a beach somewhere laughing about the "Y2K+38
catastrophe"! :-)

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2