AIX 5.2 Upgrade Caveat

From: Chris (crbid@SYMPATICO.CA)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 20:22:44 EST

I ran an upgrade on a 7026-H50. The server is a 4-way 332 Mhz, 3GB machine.
It has an SSA adapter and attached a full 7133-020 drawer, just to give you
some background. Prior to upgrade, it had AIX 4.3.3-09. I upgraded the
firmware (system and service) to the latest, make note of the power
controller firmware change that requires an additional reboot, and complete
power plug disconnect to properly install.

On to the fun stuff. Put in my AIX 5.2 disk 1 media, unmirrored the rootvg
(just my hunch), changed the bootlist to point to the cd0 and rebooted the
system. Typical messages concerning using this console during install (hit
1 and enter) and use english for this install. The preservation install is
the default and went with that. Over 300 filesets later the box was
upgraded and rebooted fine. Applied the 01 maintenance at this point, using
smitty (upgrade installed software to latest) and after that finished,
another reboot.

This server is a database query server with some Sybase 12.5 tables and a
front end Tomcat 4.1.24 server. Everything worked after the reboot, save
for one problem.

The upgrade over wrote the /usr/java131/jre/lib/security/cacerts file, which
contained our SSL (tomcat) Verisign certificate, leaving us with a default
vanilla cacerts file. I restored from prior mksysb backup and resolved the
issue.

Chris B.