Re: lpd problems

From: Hunter, Mark (Mark.Hunter@ANHEUSER-BUSCH.COM)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 14:16:45 EST

You should also check:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1hintsTips0377

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Thompson [mailto:bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 12:13 PM
To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
Subject: lpd problems

All,

I just recently started having a problem with a printer queue on one of my
AIX 4.3.3 servers.

This queue uses a custom backend to convert a postscript file sent from a
remote server into a PDF file on the AIX server.

All was working well until just recently. I'm pretty sure I know what
caused the problem, but I'm not sure how to fix it (or how to tell the
responsible people how to fix it).

The AIX server sets in a DMZ. The remote file comes from a server on the
other side of a firewall. The printer stopped working just after the
Telecom folks upgraded the firewall software.

I stopped lpd on the AIX server and restarted it with the "-D debug_file"
option. Every minute the remote server tries to send a print job to the AIX
box which generate the following three lines in the debug file:

lpd[46432] main: child process starts.....
lpd[46432] main: Terminate: 0781-201 ill-formed FROM address.
lpd[46432] main: Mon Dec 1 13:00:40 2003

My questions are 1) how can I find more information on the "0781-201"
error? and 2) what does "ill-formed FROM address" mean?

TIA

 Bill Thompson
 Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
 The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
 6-0599

 Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
 May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The
 Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.