Re: AIX 5 migrations

From: Drew Wrobel (Andrew_Wrobel@PEPBOYS.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 09:44:19 EST

     I had the same problem doing a migration to AIX 5.1, with rootvg being
mirrored.

Bill Verzal <BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM>@Princeton.EDU> on 11/10/2003 09:13:15
AM

Please respond to IBM AIX Discussion List <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>

Sent by: IBM AIX Discussion List <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>

To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
cc:
Fax to:
Subject: AIX 5 migrations

Hi everyone

I upgraded my H-80 to AIX 5.2 this weekend. I thought I'd inform you of a
PMR I had to open with IBM and the result of the call.

When the migration install finished, the system rebooted and went to "AIX
is starting". Then it gave me a nice empty stare. For a long time.

No disk activity, so I rebooted again (after about 30-minutes). Same
thing.

So I called IBM and here is what we found.

"There exists, under certain conditions, a situation where a migrated
server will not reboot after a migration."

Yup - the install will fail. You'll need to reload a mksysb and start
again. The fix ?

      Unmirror rootvg first.

The AIX 5.2 migration MIGHT die if you migrate a mirrored rootvg. The
developers at IBM are not yet sure what the problem is. They are
considering writing this into the migration guide at this point.

Symptoms: System will not boot
Fixes: Run fsck, synclvodm, etc - none will fix the problem.
Nothing will work, even though the commands run fine (and might even fix
something)

Fortunately, in my case, I was not affected by this particular bug. In my
case however, here is what happened to me:

      On the /SPOT, /etc/filesystems had no entry for "/tmp" in it, so I
had to "grep -p" and "sed" to create a new entry and append it to
/etc/filesystems
      Then, I could run "fsck" on /tmp. At this point, we were not sure if
my system had "the bug" or not. So watch for the missing "/tmp".
      My bos.mp was still 4.3.3.75 and did not migrate.
      My devices.ssa.disk.rte was still 4.3.3.x and did not migrate.
      Trying to install the filesets in "recovery" mode failed because the
script "/usr/lib/instl/rminstal" failed. We placed an "exit 0" in that
script and the install worked fine.
      Once we set the bootlist and fixed the above problems, the system
booted fine.

So, simply put, have a mksysb or 2, and unmirror rootvg before you start
and AIX 5.2 migrations.

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

Disclaimer: The information contained in this communication is confidential and only for the use of the intended addressee(s). If you have received this communication in error, any disclosure or use of such information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies. Thank you.