Re: AIX 5.1 + JFS + gaussian

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust (janfrode@PARALLAB.UIB.NO)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 11:36:45 EST

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 01:43:20PM -0600, Taylor, David wrote:

> How to Avoid DMS Problems

I don't think of this as a DMS problem.. The DMS threat is
more of an indicator that something is wrong.

> Enable I/O pacing through SMIT. Calues of mid-thirties and mid-twenties
> for High and Low watermarks have been found to be adequate for HACMP

I have maxpout=385, minpout=129.

> Increase the frequency of the sync daemon. This will ensure that data
> is flushed to disk more frequently but will have an adverse affect on
> overall system performance.

.. "adverse affect on overall system performance" .. This is not what I want.

> Change the heartbeat rate of a NIM using SMIT. Do NOT make it faster,
> this will make the problem worse as DMS value pertains to the SLOWEST
> network declared to HACMP.

.. hide the problem ..

> I also have a note indicating that the preferred fix is to change the
> DMS value.

This might prevent the DMS from triggering, but I'm more after a solution
that can prevent the system from hanging every time it needs to free some
memory from the buffer cache. It can't be right that the system should
freeze for minutes when it needs to free memory from page cache?

   -jf