Re: FTP between servers

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 08:04:57 EST

If I understand you correctly what you want to do is move a file from
server A to server B using the FTP client from your PC.

If this is correct then what you want to try is the "proxy" command.

>From the HP-UX FTP man page:

proxy ftp-command
     Execute an ftp command on a secondary control connection. This
     command allows simultaneous connection to two remote FTP servers
     for transferring files between the two servers. The first proxy
     command should be an open, to establish the secondary control
     connection. Enter the command proxy ? to see other FTP commands
     executable on the secondary connection. The following commands
     behave differently when prefaced by proxy: open does not define
     new macros during the auto-login process, close does not erase
     existing macro definitions, get and mget transfer files from the
     host on the primary control connection to the host on the
     secondary control connection, and put, mput, and append transfer
     files from the host on the secondary control connection to the
     host on the primary control connection. Third party file
     transfers depend upon support of the FTP protocol PASV command by
     the server on the secondary control connection.

The proxy command allows you to simultaneously connect to two remote FTP
servers (server A and server B) and transfer files between them (thus
eliminating the transfer to your PC).

I've never had to do this myself so I can't be of much help but I do know
the basic idea is:

->ftp
ftp> open serverA <- connect to serverA
name:
password:
ftp> proxy open serverB <- connect to serverB
name:
password:
ftp> dir <- list files on serverA
ftp> proxy dir <- list files on serverB
ftp> cd /tmp <- change directory on serverA
ftp> proxy cd /tmp <- change directory on serverB
ftp> quote pasv <- Passive mode on serverA
ftp> proxy quote pasv <- Passive mode on serverB
ftp> proxy get file1 <- Transfer file from serverA to serverB
ftp> proxy put file2 <- Transfer file from serverB to serverA

HTH

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.