Re: ML for AIX 5.1

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 12:41:20 EDT

We're going for ML04. The most recent CDs we have include ML04.

We're using it with PSSP 3.2, 3.4 and 3.5. Installed on F50, F80 and 43P
control workstations, (running PSSP 3.4 and 3.5). Also Silver and
WinterhawkII nodes, H80s, M80s, p660-6H1, p660-6M1, p690; all running PSSP
3.4. Maybe some S-series, but I'm not sure off the top of my head. We've
got other nodes still on AIX 433 and PSSP 3.2/3.4, which seem quite happy.
Applications are primarily SAP and Oracle, but there's a good selection of
other stuff!

Where possible, we're running with the 64-bit kernel. We're not making any
use of JFS2.

The OS does seem to use a bit more memory, which led to some paging problems
on a few DB servers with inadequate memory. (Small SAP and/or Oracle
servers, with 3GB of memory and <10GB paging space.) Solved for the time
being by just adding more paging space and doing a bit of tuning. (These
had previously been cloned from other servers, and the paging spaces were
badly allocated. It hadn't been a problem before so nobody had noticed.)

We update the firmware on all of the nodes before migration. Failing to do
this caused us some problems in the beginning, with nodes failing to
install, (using NIM).

Storage is mostly SAN: Shark or HDS. I've not worked with these until
recently, so I don't know whether it's normal but we export the volume
groups then delete all of the devices - hdisks, vpaths and dpo - and remove
the drivers before the migration, then add it all back afterwards.

We haven't encountered any bugs, although we did have a problem with some
new network tuning options, (also introduced in 433 ML11): tcp_nodelayack
and tcp_finwait2. Most of our servers were unaffected, but one application,
(Manugistics) which has connections made by Windows clients had problems
until we changed both of these from the defaults. I think the actual cause
is the Windows client - either the application or perhaps Windows itself -
failing to terminate the connection correctly, but knowing that doesn't make
the problem go away!

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.

<SNIP>