Re: Login Attempts are cumulative on 'su-only' accounts

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 04:10:35 EDT

As far as I know this is not a bug; it's just the way it's always worked.
("Failing as designed.") An su is not the same as a login; no-one has
logged in, so the unsuccessful login count is not reset.

One way is to beat up the people who are trying to log in, and failing:
disable the ID from logins, if that's not actually required.

If you want to reset it, you can use the chsec command:
chsec -f /etc/security/lastlog -a "unsuccessful_login_count=0" -s UserId

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.