Re: NTP setup

From: Taylor, David (DTaylor@WBMI.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 17:35:57 EDT

This was posted by someone else previously, I don't' recall whom.

SETTING UP AN NTP SERVER (without using an atomic clock)

1. edit the /etc/ntp.conf file

File should read:

server 127.127.1.0 prefer

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

tracefile /etc/ntp.trace

save file and exit.

2. smitty xntpd-->start at both system restart and now.

Let run for approximately 10 minutes before moving to step 4. Otherwise,

stratum will show 16.

3. lssrc -ls xntpd

Stratum should show between 3-4 but ok as long as it doesn't show 16.

Server is ok, now to configure client.

SETTING UP AN NTP CLIENT

1. edit the /etc/ntp.conf file:

File should read:

server <ipaddress of ntp server> (example: server 1.2.3.4 if 1.2.3.4 is =
the
NTP server)

driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

tracefile /etc/ntp.trace

save file and exit

2. At command line enter:

ntpdate <ipaddress of ntp server>

If it doesn't say "no server suitable for synchronization found", go to

next step.

3. smitty xntpd-->start at both system restart and now.

Let run for approximately 10 minutes or so before going on to step 4.

Otherwise stratum may show 16.

4. lssrc -ls xntpd

Stratum will probably show 4-5. If it doesn't its ok as long as it doesn't
show 16.

Clocks should now be in sync. Repeat the client steps for each of your
clients that you need to setup.

Or you can use the command :

# setclock [server name]