Re: Hard drive problem?

From: Bruce Zimmer (b.r.zimmer@WORLDNET.ATT.NET)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 08:23:38 EDT

Definitely umount the drive first. If there are application temporary
files on the file system, that could be taking the 42%. Another
possibility is that one of the files the DBA deleted is still in use, so
the OS did not delete the file, just the inode. Once the application
closes the file it will be deleted. In either case you will get an in
use error if you umount the file system. Once unmounted, run the fsck
and see if there are any errors. My guess is that there won't be.

Bruce Zimmer
Central Data Systems
(248) 615-4644 (direct)
(248) 320-1175 (cell)