Re: Tracking source of ICMP packet

From: Bill Verzal (BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 15:55:42 EDT

If they are ICMP message "8" packets, you probably have the most recent
worm Nachia or the Worm it was trying too clean.

BV

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

| | "Pugliese, |
| | Edward" |
| | <s11018@SLK.COM> |
| | Sent by: IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | <aix-l@Princeton.|
| | EDU> |
| | |
| | |
| | 09/23/2003 02:15 |
| | PM |
| | Please respond to|
| | IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | |
  | |
  | To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU |
  | cc: |
  | Subject: Tracking source of ICMP packet |

I have tracked down the source of some pesky ICMP packets to a certain
host.
I have confirmed it is the specific host by running "iptrace" and seeing
the
specific IP address for the source and destination that is in question for
the "ECHO REQUEST". What I can not figure out is how to backtrack to the
process that is generating the ICMP packets. Any assistance in how I
might
do this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed