Re: sendmail

From: Barry Finkel (b19141@ACHILLES.CTD.ANL.GOV)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 12:16:25 EDT

>Thursday of last week I started sendmail on an AIX 5.2 system. I was able
>to send messages out immediately but incoming messages took over an hour
>before they came in. The next day (Friday), incoming messages were almost
>instantaneously received. Why the initial delay in receiving messages? Is
>there some AIX or network timing issue that causes this initial delay? Can
>anyone explain this to me? Thanks.
>
>Gary Heilman
>Dairyland Power Cooperative
>608-787-1408
>glh@dairynet.com

Is there an MX record in DNS? Maybe remote DNS servers had cached the
negative result of an MX of "A" record query, and mail was queued until
the cache entries expired?
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel@anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994