Re: problem with configure thin node Ethernet interface

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 05:09:30 EDT

Julie Xu wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Great thanks for replay.
>
> > If you have to make changes to en0, then I would encourage
> you to do it
> > through PSSP rather than make direct changes.
>
> How do I do to change ip address through PSSP? Could you
> please give me a
> tip?

The simplest way is to delete the node (spdelnod), then put the various
information back using the new IP address. Then customize the node. In
theory you can do this without shutting down the node, but I always like to
play it safe and stop the applications, and reboot afterwards.

> > If you need to have an extra IP address on this node you
> may be able to
> > set
> > up an alias on en0, but if so don't do it through the ODM:
> use some sort
> > of
> > startup script to add it using ifconfig. If you put it in
> the ODM then
> > again: you risk it being deleted next time the node is
> customized. We
> > make
> > quite a lot of use of aliases on en0, which are controlled
> by scripts in
> > /etc/inittab. If that's no good, then you really need to
> have a second
>
> my internal network is private network, I have physically
> linked them to
> outside. But, it can not be routed. I have did ifconfig a
> normal class B ip
> address to it, but I can not ping the alias from outsite
> world - it means I
> have to change the en0 from a private ip address to a normal
> address, does
> it?

If you've got a physical connection to your main network, then there's no
reason in theory that it can't be routed correctly. What's your default
route? Is that still trying to go out over the token-ring network?

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.