Re: TMOUT variable problem

From: Randy Styka (comp-sun!aix-list@COMPGATE.COMPUTRON.COM)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 01:46:41 EDT

>.profile[44]: TMOUT: This variable is read only
>readonly TMOUT # make the variable unmodifiable
>
>Does anyone know what the problem here is?

As has been pointed out, readonly must be set earlier.
Be aware of limitations on TMOUT. It can typically be
overriden by the user, and it only is in effect for users
at a shell prompt. It will NOT log off an idle user in
an application.

There are programs that will log off the users even in these
situations, and that can't be overridden by the user. Our
company wrote/sells a product called LOGMON that does this.
Unlike other approaches, we monitor the cpu usage for each
user, and their child processes, so we can be sure a user really
is idle before logging them off.

You can vary the inactivity time by user, time of day, etc.
For details, send a message to logmon@computron.com or visit
www.logmon.com

Thanks!

| Computronics Randy Styka, randy@computron.com |
| 4N165 Wood Dale Road Phone: 630/941-7767 |
| Addison, Illinois 60101 USA Fax: 630/941-7714 |