Re: Implementing DNS on SP2

From: Raj Atwal (atwalrs@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 09:46:38 EDT

Thats pretty much the way I have done it with my SP customers. I keep a minimal /etc/hosts file which contains just AIX servers, and use DNS for stuff like NT and file/print servers. Besides removing your adminstrative overhead of maintaining the hosts file, another advantage I see is that you probably have a secondary DNS server out there in your network and therefore have some redundancy - which is never a bad thing :)

Oh, and I'm sure you know this Simon but just in case, dont forget to set up you /etc/netsvc.conf file to use local before bind, or use NSORDER variable.

Rgds

Raj Atwal

"Green, Simon" <Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM> wrote:
What I would like to do is just have all of the AIX IP addresses in
/etc/hosts - which would include some HACMP stuff - but ditch all the NT
print servers, AS/400s etc.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.