Re: 6228 with F40

From: Jeff Barratt-Mccartney (jbarratt@compsat.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 21:32:02 EDT

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Is the PCI adapter placement guide just a 'what's been tested guide'? Or
is it a 'what's supported under maintenance' guide?

As Simon alludes to, it will probably work. I know the 6228 works fine
in 32 bit slots, but operates like a 6227 (1 Gb). I have used the 6228 in
this manner when 64 bit slots were either unavailable or at a premium,
and the SAN didn't support more than 1Gb connections.

I have quite a few customers who due to budgetary constraints, run older
SSA adapters (6215/etc) in configurations that are not listed in the PCI
adapter placement guide. We have not encountered any problems, and as a
business partner, we support them in a better than 'best effort' manner.
We do state the inherent caveats of running the adapters in a possibly
unsupported configuration, ie we let them know when push comes to shove,
support is going to recommend the replacement of the adapters. So far we
haven't run into any serious issues, nor do I believe we will. We follow
the guidelines of the placement guide and put the antiquated adapters in
slots that fit the requirements of the card.