Re: console

From: James Jackson (James.Jackson@MAIL.STATE.AR.US)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 10:13:35 EDT

The following thread descriptions were extracted from a document called
"Kproc Descriptions" located on the Tips for AIX Administrators webpage
(https://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/aix.techTips). To search
Tips, select all categories and filter for one of the suspect threads;
e.g., dog. You may have to create an IBM sign-on ID to use the service.

dog - A kproc spawned by the netinet driver and deals with IP packet
switching. The concept of dog process also came from Open Software
Foundation (OSF).

gil - GIL term is an acronym for "Generalized Interrupt Level" and was
created by the Open Software Foundation (OSF). This is the networking
daemon responsible for processing all the network interrupts, including
incoming packets, tcp timers, etc.

j2pg - Kernel process integral to processing JFS2 I/O requests.

HTH,

James Jackson