Re: Running 64 bit on P655

From: cbaker@GOODYEAR.COM
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 17:11:58 EDT

Bob,

Thank you for that rundown.

So, if you had a couple P655, 4 processors each, 16 GB of memory each whos
only job was to be NFS servers of 6 TByte of data on EMC Clariion attached
via Fibre HBA to a couple hundred clients, would you run those NFS servers
in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? No JFS2 here.

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

                      Bob.Kelley@BRINK
                      SINC.COM To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      Sent by: IBM AIX cc: (bcc: Chris Baker/NA/GDYR)
                      Discussion List Subject: Re: Running 64 bit on P655
                      <aix-l@Princeton
                      .EDU>

                      07/16/2003 02:41
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Quick rundown for ya:

32-bit kernel on 64-bit HW will run 64-bit apps native
64bit kernel is installed by default on 64bit HW but is disabled
to enable/check kernel mode use smitty load64bit
basically, unless you need 96G mem support OR JFS2, I've learned that
32-bit and 64-bit kernel have comparable perf numbers and since 32-bit has
been around much longer, it might be best to run 32

Bobby Kelley
Sr. AIX/UNIX Administrator

| | cbaker@GOODYEAR.C|
| | OM |
| | Sent by: IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | <aix-l@Princeton.|
| | EDU> |
| | |
| | |
| | 07/16/2003 01:26 |
| | PM |
| | Please respond to|
| | IBM AIX |
| | Discussion List |
| | |

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  | To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
|
  | cc:
|
  | Subject: Running 64 bit on P655

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I am kind of new to AIX 5. I have 6 P655's. Four are running AIX 5.2, two
are running 5., for now.

All are running in 32-bit mode - as they were shipped to us.

What do I have to do to run in 64-bit mode?

Any problems running in 64-bit mode?

Thanks,

Christopher M. Baker
Senior Technical Support Analyst
DSE/TCO
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information.
May not be copied or disseminated without the expressed
written consent of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

NOTICE TO BRINK'S EMPLOYEES:
All electronic mail communications composed, sent, received or stored on or
through Brink's equipment are subject to the Brink's Electronic
Communications Policy. Employees should have no expectation of privacy in
their use of the Company's electronic mail system.