Re: /tmp utilization

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 06:34:56 EDT

"fuser" will not help if the file has already been deleted. You need to run
fuser *before* deleting a file to insure that the file is not currently
open by some process.

The only way to regain the space used by this file is to stop the process
that has the file open. Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to
identify the process once the file is gone. If you cannot identify and stop
the offending process the only option is to reboot. (Note: You will know if
you've stopped the right process as the space in temp will be recovered
immediately.)

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2