Re: IBM extends support for AIX 5.1.

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 05:34:06 EDT

It's not just the hardware, but the effort of the software upgrade itself.

Managing an upgrade from 433 to 51 is bad enough. To go direct to 52, or to
have to do an upgrade from 51 to 52 after only a few months is a lot of
trouble and something which we would find very difficult to do in our
environment, simply due to the demands of system availability.

We can only guarantee getting one maintenance outage per month on some
systems so unless we do a lot of servers each time it just can't be fitted
in unless we ban all other maintenance, which I'm sure would go down well!

PSSP makes it tougher still, as if we need to manage an upgrade to PSSP 3.5
at the same time, (either from 3.2 or 3.4 in our case, depending on the
system).

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.