Re: zcat problem under 5.1 ML3

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson@GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 06:49:51 EDT

Mark,

This is not unexpected behavior for the zcat that is supplied by AIX. A
file with an upper-case Z extension designates a file created by the
"compress" command. A file with a lower-case Z extension designates a file
created by the "pack" command and cannot be viewed with the zcat command.

>From the man page:
"The zcat command allows the user to expand and view a compressed file
without uncompressing that file."

However, there is another "version" of zcat that is not an actual program,
but is a symbolic link to the "gzip" command. This version of zcat will
allow you to view compressed files with an "incorrect" extension.

At some time somebody probably overwrote /usr/bin/zcat on your system with
a symbolic link to gzip. The ML upgrade replaced the link with a new copy
of the AIX version of zcat, thus the different behavior.

HTH

Bill Thompson
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Company.

AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2