Re: Performance utility question

From: Darryl Ousterhout (D.Ousterhout@LABSAFETY.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 09:04:38 EDT

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but there is a set of command
line tools that are packaged with perfagent.tools. The command is called
'ptxrlog'. The command uses user define metrics to gather system information
over a duration. To look at the possibilities for the metrics, the 'xmpeek
-l | more' command will give you a complete listing.

The syntax for the ptxrlog command is as follows:

ptxrlog -f <input file with defined metric> -o <output file for gathered
stats> -i <interval in seconds> -d <duration in hours>

An example would be:

ptxrlog -f /ptxrec/memory.cfg -o /ptxrec/reports/memory.out -i 150 -d 23.50

What I used to do with this is run it for 23.5 hours and it would
automatically end it's processes. At that time I'd package them up and run
them through Access to produce management appeasing graphs.

Here is the main part of the script:

INTERVAL=150
DURATION=23.50
INPUT=/ptxrec/cfg
OUTPUT=/ptxrec/output
CFGFILE=$(cat /ptxrec/ptx_cpu.cfg)
SEARCH=$(ps -ef | grep -v grep | egrep -c ptx)
CFGCOUNT=$(cat /ptxrec/ptx_cpu.cfg | wc -l)

for FIND in $CFGFILE; do
    ptxrlog -f $INPUT/$FIND.cfg -o $OUTPUT/$FIND.txt -i $INTERVAL -e
$DURATION &
done
sleep 100
printf "\n\n $SEARCH out of $CFGCOUNT ptxrlog processes were started
successfully
on $(date) for the $(hostname) node \n" >> /ptxrec/ptx_mon.log

if [ $SEARCH -lt $CFGCOUNT ]; then
   echo "Not all of the ptxrlog processess were started on the $(hostname)
node on $(date)" \
   | mail -s "ptxrlog error on $(hostname)" root@system.com
fi

Here is what the metrics .cfg file looks like for measuring CPU in this
case:

[root@localhost] /ptxrec/cfg-> more ptx_cpu.cfg
CPU/cpu0/user
CPU/cpu0/kern