regular expressions and tar

From: Taylor, David (DTaylor@WBMI.COM)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 16:52:30 EDT

Hi *

I am attempting to tar all the subdirectories that begin with the letters a-d. The command I used was:

tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 [a-d]*

Looking at the process list, it shows that the shell expanded the arguments correctly:

wbmpxdb01 / # ps -fu XPbackup
     UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
XPbackup 18312 64408 2 May 29 pts/2 33:45 tar -cvf /dev/rmt0 /XPmnt brwarne clparch data ddmarqu dmbichl dmwiesn
XPbackup 64408 72142 0 May 28 pts/2 0:00 -ksh
wbmpxdb01 / #

However, as I watch the output to the screen, tar is going after every subdirectory.

I have tested this using different ranges and it always grabs all of the subdirectories.

Can anyone explain why it might be doing this?

TIA

David

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com