Re: LPAR FC boot

From: Bob.Kelley@BRINKSINC.COM
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 09:46:35 EDT

Ed, I don't know of a specific document, however I was recently made aware
of an unavoidable boot issue with FC drives and AIX 5.2 which has not been
resolved to my knowledge.

The issue is with the abnormally slow discovery of boot deviceson a FC
drive through a FC switch. This process takes from 2-4 seconds per drive,
so for an environment with a large number of FC drives this process could
take upwards of an hour. For an extreme example, a fibre channel box with
2400 disks in it will take 2 x 2400 = 4800 seconds or about 1 1/3 hours to
scan for bootable devices, minimum.

BKJ

| | "Pugliese, |
| | Edward" |