fsck filled lost+found

From: Taylor, David (DTaylor@WBMI.COM)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 00:51:57 EDT

I have a large (800 GB) file-system that is used as cache in front of an optical jukebox. The server is AIX 5.1 ML3. The disk is fibre attached Hitachi storage. The files are small ~100K images with a 200 byte index file. This file-system was about half full. It became corrupted. I ran fsck and after about 45 minutes it began giving errors stating that it was unable to expand lost+found and there were no available direct blocks. After fsck finished, I remounted the file-system and noted that I still had several hundred GB available and only 19% of the inodes were used. The file-system is mounted with the "mind" option.

 What caused this (the issue with lost+found)?

Is there a limitation on the number of files that can be contained within a directory?

I know what a direct-inode is. What is a direct block?

IBM stated that the only option was to move everything out of lost+found and rerun fsck - or blow away the whole file-system and rebuild from tape - did I mention that we use TSM (no colocated) and the file-system has taken 2 years to get to its current size!

I still am trying to discover how it became corrupt. I had no error entries until after running fsck. The only reason I ran fsck was I noticed that an empty directory disappeared and when I attempted to recreate it I got really weird errors.

TIA

David

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com