Re: redirecting printing

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 12:13:06 EDT

What sort of printers are these? Remote or local?
Are you printing from AIX, or from some application?

I think it might be possible to mess around with /etc/qconfig - that would
work OK for remote print queues I'm fairly sure - but my first thought would
be to pass the print queue to use to the program as a parameter, or perhaps
have a script which you call from within various scripts/programs which
could check the time and pass back a printer name. (There are several
possibilities along those lines, depending on exactly what you're doing.)

If you're printing from an application such as SAP, which wouldn't be
amenable to having a print queue as a parameter, you could set up a dummy
print queue, which is permanently held, then have a background job which
continually checks it and re-queues jobs to the correct printer.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe s.a.r.l.

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.