Re: pinning persistent storage

From: Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 08:06:28 EDT

Well,

I think a "pinned page" is a page that has to be kept in ram.
As long as its part of a working segment, thats equal to "not page out"
or "not swap out" (both terms are used within aix-docu).

So, the point of pinning persistent segments might be to allow fast
execution without loading pages from storage.

Those two processes where I noticed pinned persistent pages (hatsd and
shdaemon) are both time-critical.

This is all guessing, but sounds reasonable to me.

Anyway, if someone knows for sure, please post.

Regards,

Holger